I wonder sometimes if our CSC kids have any of that. The other day the kids from our Eicher Home moved into the new Duterte Home. A few days later the Cherne Home kids moved over to the Eicher Home so their place can be repaired. For a couple days the Eicher Home was completely empty, and quiet for the first time in 18 years. Strangely quiet. I remember standing outside and reflecting on all the kids that we have helped raise in that home - the laughter and crying, the sounds of kids eating, singing, running up the stairs, playing, shouting and praying. That house, and the Cherne Home, too, has a lot of significance for me. The memories can be overwhelming at times, when I think of the kids who have been housed there, and have left for adoption or have gone other places. I wonder how they feel about that house, if their memories are as strong as mine.
In a few weeks a woman will be visiting us who spent time at CSC as a child. She is now about 35 years old. The house where she lived has been torn down in Bulacao. I won
der if she has any memories of that place, and if she'll feel sad that it no longer stands. I can remember how badly I felt watching that place go down hill after we sold it and to learn that it was torn down to build a new house. I remember so many of the kids that lived there with us, back in the day when all the kids and staff lived together. I remember pulling kids around in our wagon, and our playground where they would run and play. I wonder if the kids remember that. Or maybe, there is something about their having been uprooted from their birth families that results in their not really developing a sense of place like I seem to have.Pardon my notalgic rambling on a Sunday afternoon.
1 comment:
I didn't remember the house, or Bulacao. But I did remember you [and everyone else who lived with and took care of me]. Neither words nor actions will ever express what reconnecting with all of you did for me.
Thinking of you often, missing you every day, and looking forward to the next time when we can see each other again.
Post a Comment