Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Facebook

I am a new and reluctant member of Facebook. I have wavered for some time. I initially signed up, then quit, then got back on board. I am not entirely comfortable with the whole FB culture. Maybe that is partially the result of my not living in the U.S. and not participating in the information/social networking lifestyle for so long. I have a hard time thinking that my circle of friends cares about my status at any given point in time, or what I think about pictures, games, etc. I'm trying, but I feel like I'm slipping away again. Too many friend requests to decide on. Too many former CSC kids to keep up on. Too many needy people. Too little time......

One thing that I've come to realize in my short FB stint is the ways that many former CSC kids rely on each other. I think that it is a good thing, usually. They are friends for life. They share their pictures, information and they interact. Sometimes they show off, brag and try to shock. I confess to finding some of this stuff very annoying and disappointing. I'm not easily shocked about anything, any more. But I'm fairly easily bothered by some of the stuff that FB has brought to my attention about the life choices of some of our former kids.

So I'm still trying to decide whether FB is for me. It is certainly a good place to keep up with my own kids and their families, and I've enjoyed reconnecting with some old friends. Maybe I just need more time to learn how to ignore the stuff that bugs me and enjoy the good things.

Hey, maybe that is a good life principle, in general.

No comments: