We have been doing this for 28 years. We've had six furloughs in our careers, and each time it gets more difficult to leave. Its not that we feel any differently about CSC. We love the ministry and miss Cebu, the kids and staff. But getting all our stuff stored, our bags packed, our house prepared for our being gone, closing accounts, cancelling delivery services, and saying goodbye to friends and family get tougher each time we leave. And each time I park my oversized frame in a tiny airline seat for the 20+ hours of flying required to get home it is harder.
This morning we said goodbye to our daughter, son-in-law and grandson in Portland. We had the chance to spend a week with them. We will miss so much of Kellen's life - birthdays, developmental milestones and accomplishments. That is the most difficult part of being missionaries.
A few weeks ago our dear niece got married. It was a great wedding and we were so happy to be stateside to attend. I remember thinking as she walked down the aisle, that I hardly know her. I was gone for so much of her life - the distant uncle that appeared every four or five years. Although our family is close, and we make the most of the limited time we have together, it is a fact that our loved ones grew up for the most part without us in their lives.
But that is the reality of our lives. We move. We live far away. Wethank God for every opportunity we had to hang out with our loved ones and our great friends during the past year.
Well, our plane boards soon. I'll blog again when we get to Cebu. God bless you all.
Paul for Marlys and Jenny
No comments:
Post a Comment