Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I've got 'em

Last Saturday, after being back in Cebu for three weeks, I finally had the names right for all the CSC kids. We came back to almost 50% new faces, so there were lots of names to learn. The kids have been very patient, telling me their name when I asked. Now everyone is happy that old Uncle Paul finally as things figured out.

But that is the easy part. More difficult will be learning the personalities and social histories of the kids - the things that they like and dislike, and their abilities and challenges. With 80 kids under out care, that will take some time. In fact, it is an ongoing process, one that never really ends. Its part of what makes working at CSC so much fun.

I was thinking today about the hassles that come with living in a country like the Philippines. Doing routine business can take a whole day, and there are times when people just don't understand what I'm trying to tell them. Traffic is horrible and the heat can often be oppressive. But life is good. Working with these great kids is a joy and a privilege. Every day we are blessed by having the opportunity to make a difference in their lives,

No comments: