Monday, October 31, 2011

Remembering Luker



October 31 to November 2 is All Saints Day and All Souls Day in the Philippines. It is also known as "Araw ng mga Patay", "Día de los Muertos" (Day of the Dead) or "Undas". During All Saints and Souls Day, friends and families visit the cemeteries, and pay homage to their dearly departed. The cemetery takes on a party atmosphere, and the holiday is often festive rather than a solemn celebration. Families return to their respective provinces to clean and repair the tombs of their deceased loved ones, and to pay their respects.

Although I do not embrace all of the beliefs surrounding these holidays, I think it is good to remember the lives of those who went before us. Today I've been thinking about Luke, who lived at CSC for 23 years before he died several years ago. Luke was born in 1982 in a charity ward of a small hospital in Cebu. His heart stopped beating during birth and he was born with massive brain damage. He lived his life at CSC without ever having voluntary movement of his arms or legs. He never said a word nor was he able to walk. He lived in the nursery most of his life, and in a seperate isolation room for the past few years.

Luke was a superstar at CSC. His smile could transform people's moods. He struggled to breathe for much of his life, spending months in hospitals. But he taught us so much and we loved him so. I remember him as a person who clung to life even though life was such a difficult proposition for him. The cares and problems of my life always seemed so small and insignificant when I spent time with Luke. Oh, how I miss his smile.

I delivered a sermon on several occasions following Luke's death. It was published in the Baptist Pietist Clarion in May of 2008. I include it here because I think that Luke's life was important for all of us to reflect on. He was a teacher. A minister even. He was one of the great persons I have known in my life. I consider him a Saint, so let's think about Luke during All Saints Day!

http://www.cscshelter.org/shared/lukesermon.pdf

No comments: