Friday, October 2, 2009

Our Best Man

Before you start reading this I want to say this: this is one of the coolest stories I can remember around CSC. It is heartwarming and I'm sure I could not tell it to you face to face without my voice breaking up. This is about Jacob, our Best Man.

A couple years ago a guy named Bong was one of our therapists at Children of Hope School. He worked with Jacob and the other kids with special needs. He had a special bond with Jacob who suffers from cerebral palsy and is very limited in his movement. Bong eventually left us to work in Australia, but he has kept in touch. Recently he showed up back in Cebu with the news that he is getting married later this month. But the big news for everyone at CSC was this: Bong asked Jacob to be his best man. Sandy Swanson was there when Jacob got that news and she reports that he was so excited that he could not contain himself! Like usual when he gets excited, he goes stiff, but this time it was because of happiness, not discomfort. He shouted out with joy.


I don't know if you can get a sense for what something like this does for a guy like Jacob. I'm not sure I can really grasp it. Imagine: Jacob was chosen! He is valued in a very significant way by a friend. On Bong's most special day of his life, he wants Jake to be there. Jacob, whose disability rarely allows him to be in the spotlight, will be up front in the wedding party. He'll be dressed to the nines. For the days leading up to the event he'll be a center of attention as we discuss his attire, where his wheel chair will be placed and where he'll sit at the dinner. He has not stopped smiling since he talked to Bong. And neither have we! I keep thinking that this is one of the cool stories of CSC. An inspiring friendship and an acknowledgement of just what a great guy Jacob is. This will be one of the biggest days of Jacob's life.


I'll try to post something after the wedding with some pictures. I want you all to share in Jake's big day.

1 comment:

Allison Family said...

Thanks for sharing that story. That is very heartwarming and I'm sure it will be a day Jacob will never forget!