Monday, February 5, 2007

Super Bowl Confusion

Last night I watched the Super Bowl with my younger brother. I didn't get most of the ads. I had to ask by brother to explain the humor or the context. I've been living abroad too long. Sometimes I feel like a cultural alien when I'm in the States. That is certainly one of the results of having lived most of my adult life in the Philippines. I missed out on so many things. I never saw a single episode of Friends, for example. I don't have the cultural context to get into reality t.v. or American Idol. As my daughter once said, "Dad, you're a dork." I guess that's part of the life of a missionary, feeling kind of "between cultures." It helps me realize some of what our CSC children go through when they are adopted, not always understanding what people are talking about or referencing. It gives me a sense of the catching up that they feel they need to do when they get to their families. Hopefully, nobody will call the dorks.

No comments: