Friday, September 16, 2011

Would you do it all over again?

One of our former residents is here in Cebu for a visit. She spent some time with the staff and kids the other day and I was the one who brought her to where she was staying after a birthday party for one of the kids. She is a person who thinks deeply and asks penetrating questions. As we were driving along she asked, "Would you do it all again?"

That is a great question, and one that a person should think about before answering. I didn't. I just blurted out "Yes, for sure." It seemed like a no-brainer. We believe that God led us into this ministry and we would always want to think that we would follow that leading, again and again. And its been a good life for us here in Cebu. No question. We have had many difficult times over the past 32 years: financial crises, children who have died, natural disasters, disappointments and heartaches. But more true would be the good times, the joys and victories, the dedication of new buildings, graduations, recitals, celebrations, watching kids overcome physical and emotional hurdles.

After I dropped her off I thought about how I might have answered if I'd have thought about it for a day instead of answering almost as soon as the question was finished. The answer would still be "yes." But I would have a meaningful addition: I would tell her that she is both the questioner and part of the answer to the question. The joy of being a part of this ministry can be summarized this way: changed lives. We have had the opportunity to invest in young lives, to give them opportunities to learn, to be healthy, to have families, to get educated in some of the finest schools in the world, to have choices that never would have been possible if we hadn't brought them into CSC. The girl who asked me that question probably doesn't understand all of the motivations and rewards involved in our work. She likely doesn't know how we feast on the accomplishments and victories of our children. Maybe if I had answered her question more thoughtfully she would have a better understanding of what makes working at CSC such a delight.

No comments: