Monday, September 20, 2010

One of a kind

I attended a funeral the other day for a guy who had been a good friend to my dad. He was a servant. He would drive my dad to doctors visits, shopping and anywhere else he needed to go. He would just put himself at my dad's disposal. He was a tremendous blessing to our family.

I got to thinking about how rare a guy Gary was. The world is full of people who are so wrapped up in themselves that they can't even see the needs around them. Gary had lots of needs himself, to be sure. His health wasn't very good. He didn't have a lot of money. But he could drive and he covered hundreds of miles taking my dad where he needed to go. Somehow, he found other people to be as important or more important than himself.

CSC exists because of people like Gary. They focus not on what they cannot do in the world, but on what they can do. Instead of focusing entirely on their own needs or those close to them, they let their arms and hearts reach across the ocean to children that they have not seen, but for whom they are willing to care, pray and give, or to give their time to help with mailings or other volunteer work for CSC.

Although we live in a narcicistitic world there are people around us who don't fit the mold. They turn society's value system upside down, choosing to live their lives for other people. I thank God for people like that. More than that, I want to be more like them myself. I want the influence of Gary to live on in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at thehealyblog.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Alex

Anonymous said...

Hey,

This is a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at www.blogger.com.

Can I use part of the information from your blog post above if I give a link back to your site?

Thanks,
Charlie