Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sweet

I am typing this from the living room of my daughter and son in law. I just got done holding my new grandson for awhile. He is just a few days old and he is absolutely adorable. I will have the privilege of spending a few days with him here in the U.S. as well as being with my parents and the rest of my family. These are precious days that we don't get very often. Our work keeps us away from our loved ones so we learn to make the most of the time that we have.

I have held a lot of babies in my time - hundreds, in fact. Some of them have been abandoned, others malnourished or sickly. Some didn't even have enough energy to suck or cry. Some didn't make it, though many surprised us by the way they came back from near death with proper care and nutrition. It is a blessed life that we have had, and we have been aware of that with all the great things that have been happening at CSC in recent days. But nothing quite makes one take stock of the blessings of life like a grandchild. No face is so cute, no cry so endearing.

I will glory in each chance I have to hold him and to tell him how great he is. We are very thankful that we will be able to spend more time with him and the rest of our family starting in August when we'll be in the States for a year. But for now, it will just be for a few days while I'm in MN. Then I'll be heading back to Cebu and other babies and kids that need holding.

I have been thinking about holding and hugging a lot lately, as we prepare for our banquet, with the theme, "Love Abounds at CSC." We have been taking pictures of hugs that happen at CSC. I didn't realize how many there are until I started trying to document them. Tons. And there are many symbolic hugs, as well, from those who can't actually be in Cebu but hug our kids through their gifts and prayers. But there's nothing like actually putting your arms around a child and giving them a squeeze and a pat on the back or head. Life is full of both types of hugs.

1 comment:

Erin Perry said...

Oh, Paul! Hugs are the greatest! I'm not sure I've ever had more hugs in two weeks than when I was in Cebu with you guys. Lovely to read about the family time you're getting. Just read Millie's email so checked to see if you had posted anything - and you did! Say hello to everyone there for me. Much love, Cuz. ;)