I've been thinking lately about what motivates people to give. We think about that at CSC. What is it about our ministry that inspires such faithful giving from our supporters? What can we do, if anything, to fan that flame and keep people motivated?
The other day I was confronted by a young girl who was begging at McDonalds. She stands right next to the drive-through window so when you get your food she is ready for you. I don't go to McDonalds a lot, but I have seen her there several times. Living in the Philippines, one is confronted with beggars every day, sometimes many times. I will confess that I don't always give. But this girl at McDonalds always gets something from me. Recently, as I pulled away I got to thinking about why I always respond to her and not others. I think its a combination of guilt and comparative thinking.
When you're buying something to feed your face, and a young girl is standing there, hungry and without a lot of hope in life, its hard to turn away. As I'm grabbing for my junk food she is reaching out her hand to ask for coins that I just received in change. Why should I have a nice lunch while she goes hungry?
The other thing is that when I see that girl I think of some kids at CSC that look a lot like her. The other night while I was on duty at the Cherne Home I asked some of the girls about begging. Most had been forced to do it before they came to CSC. They had stories of people who were mean and about those who ignored them. They mentioned being expected to get a certain amount before they could quit. When I see the girl at McDonalds or other kids begging around the city I remember D. L. Moody's comment about a drunk staggering in the street near his car: but for the grace of God, there walks D. L. Moody. Yes, but for the grace of God, there is any number of our kids, standing on a corner, trying to establish eye contact, holding out a skinny arm in hopes of getting a few coins, asking for charity from people who, usually, don't want to be bothered. It makes me thankful that we have been able to rescue some kids from this type of life, and profoundly sad that others have to suffer in this way.
I've had CSC supporters tell me that they think of their own kids when they read the sad stories of children who have come to live with us. The contrast is disquieting, to be sure. They think about the luxuries they enjoy and that their kids receive daily. Through the ministry of CSC they are able to look into the eyes of kids not unlike the girl I see at McDonalds, and respond.
No comments:
Post a Comment